Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#EDCMOOC I vote: abolish

Abolish the terms digital natives and immigrants!

They are a typical example of a misleading metaphor.
First of all, we know from experience and research that a large part of our students are not as native as we expect: they know their phone and Facebook, but very little else. Technology scares them and they are not interested.
Second of all, age has very little to do with how 'native'  you are. Just take one look at our -excellent- course leaders :-)

My own little experience to add: I work as an e-learning advisor and researcher, but now my kids are progressing through primary school I notice that I see far less need or added value for e-learning than I expected. I have bought a grand total of one educational software package... and enjoy inventing sums one when we are baking or passing a petrol store far more.

MOOC experience: I have just watched the hang-out session and that has really helped me to get into the mood of this MOOC far more than any of the videos and readings. Now what does that say about me?

I do so the parallel, though. I clearly remember one of our students saying [after a very innovative and engaging unit]: ' you know this last unit was great, but I hope we are going back to ordinary teaching now, so that I can get a life again'. Students don't want to work hard, and obviously, neither do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment